Detail-oriented self-directed IT professional with a history of planning and implementing low-cost high-quality solutions. Solid analyst with ability to diagnose, triage, and resolve highly complex issues. Strong supporter of proactive monitoring and accurate documentation. Focus placed on automation, security, and reliability. Open-source software preferred.
Certified Kubernetes Administrator: Linux Foundation (2021)
Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ansible Automation: Red Hat (2020)
Puppet Certified Professional: Puppet Labs (2019)
Certificate in Advanced Cybersecurity: Stanford University (2020)
- Courses included Foundations of Information Security, Using Cryptography Correctly, Writing Secure Code, Exploiting/Protecting Web Applications, Network Security, and Emerging Threats/Defenses.
Certificate in Python Programming: Wake Technical Community College (2018)
- Curriculum involved creation of stand-alone/web-based Python applications.
Certificate in Linux Administration: Wake Technical Community College (2005)
- Capstone project involved Linux/Windows integration [via Samba].
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry: North Carolina State University (2003)
- Received Latin Honor Magna Cum Laude.
System Administrator: Red Hat (2021 - Present)
- Recently hired.
IT Consultant: Seda Systems (2009 - Present)
- Customers included several small businesses and a nonprofit organization.
- Performed majority of work remotely, and traveled to customer sites as needed.
- Administered Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Amazon Linux, VMware ESXi, and Windows servers.
- Wrote Puppet code to automate infrastructure.
- Migrated physical/virtual infrastructure to Amazon Web Services (AWS), and heavily utilized Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Simple Storage Service (S3), Glacier, Relational Database Service (RDS), Identity and Access Management (IAM), and Route 53.
- Migrated 10+ IPsec VPN connections [between Health IT vendors and healthcare providers] from Juniper ScreenOS device to Linux-based LibreSwan service.
- Managed an Electronic Health Records (EHR) stack [based on Apache/Tomcat/Oracle], which served Protected Health Information (PHI) to patients and healthcare providers.
- Deployed and maintained Disk-To-Disk (D2D) Bareos instance, which protected AWS EC2 data.
- Implemented Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) solutions for Linux SSH and AWS Console.
- Served as HIPAA Security Officer, and provided mandatory HIPAA training to staff members via online compliance training platform.
- Assisted Developers in creating/modifying Jenkins Continuous Integration (CI) / Continuous Delivery (CD) jobs, which accessed code from multiple private Git repositories.
- Performed Java Virtual Machine (JVM) Monitoring and Tuning, which helped to stabilize a mission-critical application.
- Operated split-horizon BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) DNS (Domain Name System) service.
- Deployed and maintained Disk-To-Tape (D2T) Bacula instance, which protected 30 TB of data.
- Automated analysis of medical data via custom scripts.
- Provided custom web hosting solutions.
- Deployed custom 6-node High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster.
- Managed Juniper/Cisco/Dell firewalls/switches.
System Administrator: Stanford University (2011 - 2013, 2018 - 2020)
- Customers included internal research groups.
- Performed majority of work remotely, and traveled to data centers as needed.
- Administered CentOS, RHEL, VMware ESXi, and Windows servers.
- Supported 150+ physical/virtual machines.
- Managed 500 TB of NetApp, Dell, Fujitsu, and Pivot3 storage.
- Authored Puppet code for various hosts/services, which involved R10K code deployment [from Puppet Forge and various public/private Git repositories].
- Scripted primarily in Python and Bash.
- Deployed Cobbler for OS Provisioning [and Puppet bootstrapping].
- Deployed Disk-To-Tape (D2T) Bacula instance, which protected 15 TB of data.
- Administered 10-node VMware ESXi cluster, which ran on Dell EqualLogic iSCSI Storage Area Network (SAN) storage.
- Deployed 2-node Apache Web Cluster involving F5 Load Balancers.
- Deployed 2-node MySQL Database Cluster involving MySQL replication.
- Procured, installed, and administered clustered NetApp filers/shelves.
- Supported 32-node HPC cluster.
- Installed, configured, and managed Brocade/HP LAN/SAN switches.
System Administrator: University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (2005 - 2009)
- Customers included internal enterprise and research groups.
- Administered RHEL, Solaris, and Windows servers.
- Supported 100+ physical servers.
- Administered 4-node Apache Web Cluster involving F5 Load Balancers, which hosted 300+ campus-wide websites.
- Utilized Puppet to manage various system/application configurations, which included campus Learning Management System (LMS).
- Administered clustered NetApp filers/shelves.
- Performed JVM Monitoring and Tuning, which helped to stabilize multiple mission-critical applications.
- Supported 10 development/production servers responsible for storage/retrieval/analysis of medical data.
- Migrated from Unix File System (UFS) to ZFS.
- Migrated from siloed Direct-attached Storage (DAS) to centrally-managed SAN and Network-attached Storage (NAS).
- Designed and implemented Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape (D2D2T) backup solution based on Bacula.
- Migrated 300+ local users across multiple siloed machines to a centrally-managed solution involving LDAP and NFS.
- Designed and implemented secure multi-departmental file-sharing solutions involving Samba and SFTP.
- Operated private BIND DNS service.
- Created online video tutorials for training users to perform common tasks such as mounting Samba shares.
- Maintained HIPAA-compliant computing environment.
- Supported 32-node HPC cluster.
- Installed, configured, and managed Extreme/QLogic LAN/SAN switches.